Parent Engagement Affinity Group
January 20, 2015
The out-of-school time (OST) sector will authentically engage with parents and caregivers to develop their leadership skills to support their child’s social emotional development and school success.
- Authentic parent engagement…
- Centers around the success of the child/youth. Parents/caregivers and OST staff are focused on common goals (support of child’s social emotional skills and school success).
- Recognizes and validates parents’ expertise as child’s first teacher.
- Leaves judgment at the door.
- Understands and honors the culture of all families.
- Requires intentional action oriented related to youth success.
- Cultural competence training for all OST providers.
- Knowledge of community supports to share with parents.
- How to “leave judgment at the door.”
- How to share data with parents and schools.
- Vehicle for sharing parent engagement best practices (among OST and between schools and OST).
- Funding for parent engagement work.
- How to create youth-centered goals that incorporate parent input.
- Skills, knowledge, tools to be authentic partners.
- Belief in their leadership abilities.
- Information on supports available in community.
- Opportunities to engage with OST sector during times that are convenient and with supports necessary (child care, transportation).